Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Happy Birthday!




Yesterday was my mom's birthday. Her 96th birthday, to be exact! Bertie was born in 1915 and was a child of the Great Depression. If you recall, I told the tale of the buttons and bread ties...and the apple juice & tissues.

So, in honor of her 96th birthday I did what I do best. I baked. I baked two dozen cupcakes - with almond flavoring in the batter, and almond-vanilla in the buttercream frosting I topped them with. The buttercream was tinted a coppery bronze color in honor of the season (my favorite - FALL) and topped with sprinkles depicting leaves in all their splendor in autumn. My friend Linda came over and we packed the cupcakes into a carrier, got her gifts together (she loves fleece so I bought new fleece, socks, and GUM) and off we went.



We got to the nursing home shortly after lunch. They were all aware it was PARTY TIME, so one by one they were rolled into the 'dayroom' for the party. We had to remove the cupcake liners (one lady tried to eat it) for them, and we cut them in half so the ones that were able to, could pick them up to eat them. My mom had to be fed. I guess at 96 that's allowed. Anyway, Linda fed mom, and I went around to dispense cupcakes to all the guests. Just before I could grab a napkin for one guest's cupcake, one of the OTHER guests took the whole stack of napkins, folded them, and stuck them under her sweater. Yep - a klepto!! The rest of the partygoers had to use regular paper towels for their treats.


In the midst of all this partying, suddenly the fire alarms started going off! Lights flashing, horns and sirens blaring, and the doors suddenly all closed.....closing us in the Day room with the party ladies. My mom got very upset - wanted me to make it stop and told me she needed to 'get the hell out of there'. I covered her ears with my hands and promised I'd take care of her and I wouldn't let anything hurt her. Another lady covered her head with a towel - the same towel she had her 'baby doll' wrapped up in. It was so sad. Then, there were a few that were seemingly unaware of anything happening at all. They just kept right on eating.



So, after about 10 minutes, which felt like an hour, the alarms finally stopped going off, and the doors opened. We all went out into the interior garden, where mom opened her gifts. Some of her fellow party goers were there too. Most of them were still shaken by the excitement.





All in all, it was a wonderful afternoon. The best part was that I got to celebrate one more birthday with mom - and make it special for her...and for me. At 96, I'm not sure how many more there will be - but each and every one will be a wonderful thing to be able to still share.


Thank you, mom, for all you have done for me...you took care of me when I couldn't take care of myself, and now it's my turn to take care of you. You were my parent, now I am yours. The full circle of life, I suppose.


I love you, Mama. Happy, Happy Birthday!!!!








































No comments:

Post a Comment