Sunday, February 12, 2012

Wining and Dining

This weekend the weather has been beautfiul....bright blue sunny skies, a breeze, birds singing, daffodils in bloom, and  COLD!  Last weekend it was almost summer-.it was warm.  I mean, I mowed the backyard wearing a t-shirt and crocs...and no socks!  This weekend, boy oh boy, is it different.  Friday night was nice - cool, but bearable without a coat as long as you ran from point A to point B....yesterday, Saturday, it was cold.  The wind started to blow.  And it blew all day long.  Never stopped.  When that happens I always know 'the wind is blowing the cold in'.....

I was right.  Last night I brought my geraniums inside - I still have three beautiful plants on my front porch.  They are doing very well, considering it's February.  One of them even has new growth.  So, I brought them inside after my dinner guests, Chapel & Brian, left.  This was about midnight.  Lo, and behold, and true to form, I forgot one.  I forgot to bring in ny aloe plant.  Poor thing succumbed to the cold last night.  Today it's limp and lifeless in the pot.  I sure hope I don't burn myself now because I won't have ANY aloe to put on it.  A good friend's mom gave me the plant so I really feel bad about forgetting to bring it in.

Speaking of my dinner guests - let me tell you what we had last night...AND what I made!  I made Italian Cream Puffs.  Really I did!  They were bellissimo!  Today, I baked white almond cupcakes with almond buttercream for Valentine's Day.  Frosted very simply, with a dusting of white sanding sugar over the buttercream.  Yum.   So, back to dinner....

We grilled a rack of pork spareribs with homemade "Chiquita" sauce; steamed ears of fresh crispy yellow corn, homemade cole slaw with both green and red cabbage and homemade dressing - once it marinates it is WONDERFUL,  It's slightly soggy but still has a bite to it - a crunch in every bite. I made baked beans - mine are slightly different.  They have a 'secret' ingredient that sets them apart from all others.  They're not bad!!!!  We also had a loaf of sourdough bread. Sourdough bread is heavy.  It is a very 'solid' bread.  And just as the name indicates, it has a slightly 'sour' taste.  I love any bread (well, except rye) though - and sourdough is one of my favorites by far...

We also had appetizers - I put together an antipasto tray with salame, proscuitto, Asiago cheese, green olives stuffed with garlic, black pitted olives, & roasted red peppers.  As if this weren't enough, I also made these little pastry shells filled with asparagus-shrimp dijonnaise. 

My friends make their own wine - and they provided several bottles for 'tasting' throughout the evening.  River Vines Estates is one of the newest, up and coming BEST wineries at the coast.  A home brewed wine - and we had this Chardonnay that was simply the best.  It was aged with coffee beans.    Thank you, thank you Chapel and Brian.  We had  the best time with you - it was great having you here with us.  I hope we can do it again VERY soon. ....We can't wait to sample more of your wines.....I'll be your taste tester ANYTIME you want!!!!

Today was a 'do nothing' day for me.  I don't do that very often.  I always have SOMETHING going on.......but not today.  I'm posting this and thinking about what else I can bake for Tuesday, the day of love....St. Valentine's Day.  Are any of you out there bakers?  I'd like to hear what your favorites are!

No comments:

Post a Comment