Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Giving Back

Today I did something that I have never ever done before.  I volunteered to give manicures at the nursing home where my mom is.  Now, before I started going to nail salons and only having my nails in either a neutral or French manicure, I did my own manicures and as a result, had MANY bottles of different colored polish.  So, I loaded the polishes, some remover, and some "aromatherapy' hand lotion and headed to see them!

I got there about 2:00, and left at almost 5:00.  During that time, I did a dozen manicures - all different.  I evan gave a manicure to a male resident.  He would not let me polish his nails, and I showed him ALL different colors.  He was just not a good sport.  So, I filed his nails, and massaged his hands with aromatherapy lotion and he loved it.  So many of the other little ladies loved having their nails done.  Most got polish, some did not, and they ALL got the hand massages.  They were SOOO sweet.  One little lady asked me how long I had been doing nails.  My response,, 'About an hour'.  She didn't get it.

So, I was about ready to leave, and this one little lady rolled in and asked "do you have any openings this afternoon?".  Oh. My. Gosh.  She thought she was at a nail salon.    I told her, yes, I had an opening just for her.  She got the bamboo colored polish.  They all were chattering away, none of it making any sense (at least I don't think it did) and we talked about Pearl Harbor Day.  I asked them if they remembered it and what they were doing then.  One lady said she had just gotten married.  One said she was still in high school.  It was then I realized that ALL THESE people were once children; teenagers; young adults.  They had lives. families, laughter, JOBS, and a story.  I might decide to sit down one of these days with each of them and let them tell me their stories.  I'm sure they would have some very interesting tales to tell...

All in all, I had the most wonderfully fulfilling afternoon.  Did I get my house cleaned?  Nope.  Did I do any Christmas shopping?  No.  Did I get any decorations up?  no.   But I did something even better.  I turned a dozen or better "extremely" senior citizens into painted ladies!  Ladies with good looking manicures.  And I got more out of the visit than they did.  I got this warm, wonderful feeling in my heart and soul.  I gave something back.  And took much more away.

See you in two weeks, ladies!  And remember, Santa will be arriving on the 22nd.  Buon Natale!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment