Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's Summer in South Carolina, and it's hotter than hell outside

As a newly non-employed-outside-the-home baby boomer, I have a hard time sitting still.  It's just not in my nature, guys.  I am a doer.  I have always been a doer.   So, whilst I was sitting on the veranda at daybreak, my Vermont (we're going there on Monday - more about that later) Moose coffee cup in hand,   I was surveying the shrubs that flanked the porch.  Two on either ends are nandina - you know what those are, right?  Well, I had pruned them before and it occurred to me they looked like two broccoli spears standing upright.  Not at all the image I wanted to convey in my Southern brick (which pretends to be a New England saltbox dwelling) house.  I called my husband to get his thoughts on what I was about to do - which is to CUT THOSE SUCKERS down.  Of course, being the good husband he is, he said 'do it'.  (remember, I'm the doer).  So I did it.  I got the pruners, the keyhole saw, my trusty garden gloves, and I commenced hacking away.  Now They are gone, but stubble remains - for hubby to take out when he comes home with his 'descendents of Roman God' muscles (did I tell you he's Italian?  He's EYETALIAN!!)

He's gotten pretty used to my starting things and he finishes them.  That's why I'm the brains of the operation.  HE is the brawn!  I should have taken pictures before and after, but was too eager.  From now on, I will post what I write about so you can see what I'm doing.  A diary, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment