Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turkey Day

Today I began preparing my Thanksgiving menu. Well, I sort of already knew what I planned to have, but I sat down this morning with a cup of coffee and pen and pad and wrote down each thing I plan to cook; and made sure I had all the ingredients. I will never forget one holiday many years ago that I did not have any celery and my mother swore the turkey 'wouldn't be fit to eat'. Well, fit or not, we ate it. God forbid!
Anyway, we are having turkey (unbrined, but seasoned under the skin) with meat stuffing (yep, stuffing - which means inside the bird; dressing is the same food but cooked separately in a pan), rice & giblet gravy, Italian broccoli with garlic and lemon (this stuff will make you want to slap someone; if you wanted to do that anyway, you have a legit excuse), steamed green beans with almonds, pan sauteed' brussel sprouts; ginger glazed baby carrots; sweet potato souffle (sort of) with maple syrup infused right into the whipped baked potatoes, along with creamy butter & miniature marshmallows, then baked in a casserole dish; fresh cranberry-orange relish (and the canned jellied variety, my mother in law's special recipe!!), potato rolls, and my desserts that I spent most of today making. They are (in no particular order): creamy chocolate pie, gingerbread, maple pumpkin pie, and spiced almond wafers. There will (naturally) be fruit salad of some type, prosecco, white & red wine, water, iced tea, and coffee!
Later in the afternoon, we have a couple coming over for Thanksgiving cocktails. So, more prosecco, wine and beer will be served, along with Italian Antipasti items (you know, cheeses, salame, proscuitto, cheeses, olives, etc.).
I would like to hear what everyone else has planned. Turkey is not my favorite thing, but once a year I can handle it. This is why my food preparations are taking 3 days; I want to be able to do something on Thanksgiving besides COOK, EAT, and CLEAN UP!!
I have a lot to be thankful for this year. Given that this year has been a rough one, we've made it virtually unscathed. I hope that continues. My mom will be here too - and at age 96, I'm truly thankful for that above all else.
So, tell me - what's on your menu for Turkey Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment